Monday 20 February 2012

An introduction to this bewildered gardener

So, which is bewildered, the gardener, or the garden? I'll wager on both.
Where to start? In February 2010 my little family and I upped sticks and moved from a tiny terrace to a slightly larger house only a mile up the road. The big draw? A garden calculated at 2/3 of an acre; that's 29040 square feet, or 2700 square metres. Any way you look at it, it's a massive step up from our previous teeny tarmac postage stamp. No farm or smallholding, I'll grant you, but then we live not two miles from Sheffield city centre, so it's pretty big shakes for a city garden.

This is also my very first proper garden, ever. And two years on, I seem to have achieved...very, very little.
This blog, therefore, is going to do two important things (I hope): keep me motivated to do things so I have something to report back, and provide me with a record of my gardening triumphs - and inept bumblings.
The garden itself has gone from being owned by an older couple with some baffling obsessions with chimey pots, ornamental fruits and variable styles of fencing, to a family of four who all expect something different from it: a place to build dens and run wild; a sanctuary for friends and wildlife; and a place to expand to from garage pottering. Bewildered? We both are.

No comments:

Post a Comment