Friday 24 February 2012

And here's one I made earlier.

So, no we haven't been completely idle for the past two years, and I thought it was worth pointing that out. We have, in fact, mowed the garden innumerable times; removed a colossal but mostly dead fuchsia from right in front of the path; added trellis to the summerhouse to stop the kids splatting off the sides of it; made and planted up a little veg patch; disposed of more than ten chimney pots and planted strawberries in about six more; planted an orchard (apples, pears, and cherries); and installed a water butt.
I also cleared the jungle that lay in the middle of the garden. It was full of a wide and eclectic variety of shrubs and young trees, all of which were competing with each other for any light at all. The reason I cleared it was two-fold: I wanted to be able to see the rest of the garden from the kitchen window, and I wanted to know what was in there. So far I've found a small Christmas tree,  two or three choisya (sp?), three holly trees, a dog rose, two ferns, a fruit tree of unknown fruitage, and a few other things I haven't identified.
This is how it looks now:
And off in the distance of the photo below, you can just about see the great big ball of shrubs  it was. Don't worry, it will green up, again, but this time the remaining plants will have room to breathe. I'm considering putting little paths through it and painting the two chimney covers to look like fly agaric mushrooms...maybe even putting a small living willow hut in the middle for the kids to hide in.

No comments:

Post a Comment